Admission Requirements for Higher Education in Montenegro
In Montenegro, there is one public and two private universities. Admission requirements vary from university to university. In order to enroll in the first level of higher education, students must pass an entrance exam and hold a secondary education completion certificate. Read on to know in detail about the admission requirements and procedure for higher education in Montenegro-
For Undergraduate Studies
Students must have finished secondary education in order to enroll in the undergraduate degree programme.
For Postgraduate Studies
Master’s studies: Students must have completed undergraduate studies in order to enroll in the master’s degree programme.
Doctoral studies: For admission in the doctoral programme in Montenegro higher education institution, students must hold a master’s degree- Master of Science.
Prospective students must apply directly to the University of their Choice. Fill an application and submit it with the following documents:
- Academic transcripts: Secondary education completion certificate; matriculation exam passing certificate, grades obtained and courses undertaken.
- Matura certificate
- Birth certificate copy
- Diploma “Luca” or equivalent diploma: This is the highest award given to the outstanding student on the basis of the marks obtained throughout secondary education phase.
- A valid copy of passport or any other identity card (for international students)
- Letter of recommendation
International students who wish to apply to postgraduate programmes in Montenegro must have their diploma approved by the NARIC centre of the Ministry of Education of Montenegro. International pupils who have filed a validation request are admitted conditionally if the approval process has not been finished at the time of application. International pupils posses the status of self-financing pupils.
Matura exam is a secondary education exit examination. This exam is required in order to gain admittance into the higher education institution/university in Montenegro. Matura exam comprises of two parts:
- Compulsory: This part consists of two subject tests- Montenegrin language and literature; and Mathematics/foreign language.
- Elective: This part consists of 2 subjects.
Additional exam may be held. Contact the respective higher education institution of Montenegro to know more about the admission procedure and requirements.